If you have not updated your website in a while, you run the risk of missing out on modern design trends, improved user experience, and current SEO tricks that might lead to more leads and conversions from your online business. While revamping your website or redesigning it from scratch requires a lot of hard work, time, and commitment, there are compelling reasons that will persuade you to take that route.
Ready to revamp your website? Use this website redesign checklist to ensure you have every aspect of your design project covered to achieve your design goals.
- Set your redesign goals. Before you hit the ground running, the very first thing that you need to do is set the design goals that you need to achieve. From flawless navigation, branding changes, or to accommodate new changes in your business structure, having a record of the reasons for redesigning your site will ensure you stay on track. Plus, having clear goals will make it easy to measure the success of your website redesign project.
- Analyze your website. Figure out the aspects of your site to keep and those to discard. A proper place to start is to reexamine your website metrics. Your site metrics will give you insight on what to improve depending on the actions of your visitors. Figure out the most frequently visited pages and the conversion journey of your web users. If you have been tracking your website metrics, they will help you know where to focus your redesign efforts.
- Content/SEO audit. Incorporating your website’s content into your redesign plan is crucial if you want to reap more benefits. Take advantage of this website overhaul to update incorrect or outdated content on your site. Updating your content will also increase the freshness score, which is good for your SEO strategy. If a website is old with outdated content, Google pushes it to the bottom of search results, which reduces your visibility and traffic to your site. You can also boost your SEO by optimizing meta descriptions, alt tags, increasing the post length, and adding compelling images for accessibility. Fix other SEO mistakes that can hurt the visibility of your brand, such as keyword stuffing.
- Create a brand style guide. Maintaining consistency is crucial to your website’s success and overall brand image. A style guide will act as a reference point to ensure everyone working on the redesign project is on the same page on the primary design elements to achieve visual consistency throughout the site. The layouts, fonts, colours, images, and typography should showcase the strength of your brand.
- Build your site. With the site goals and style guide already in place, it’s now time to jump right in and start building your website. Whether you opt to hire a professional designer, do it yourself with a website builder, or customizable pre-built websites, the options are limitless. Our pre-built websites will help you simplify the website creation process and focus on other aspects of the redesign project. With the theme and templates, you can create or customize an effortlessly stylish WordPress website that will help you promote your new site.
- Consider user experience (UX). Focusing on user experience while building your website will ensure that your site visitors are happy with the user interface, paying off through lower bounce rates and more conversions. Guarantee basic functionality and seamless navigation to web users by having an optimized layout, flawless design, prominent tabs, and a search bar. A positive user experience increases the chances of a user converting and returning to your site. Fix any issues that might affect the on-site performance to meet the expectations of your web users.
- Prioritize mobile experience. Mobile optimization affects nearly every aspect of your business, from brand building, traffic generation, customer service to SEO. Throughout the website redesign process, ensure you take into account the mobile experience of web users. Preview your new site from multiple devices, test all links, integrations, and plugins for functionality. Test your website design elements and content for cross-browser functionality and mobile responsiveness. Measure the effectiveness by testing the lead-generation forms, layouts, product images, and calls to action.
- Launch your new site. After you have tested your site and everything is working perfectly, your new, improved site is ready to be launched. Promoting your website is the next step to get your brand name out there and increase traffic to your redesigned website. From social media to email marketing campaigns, use these free promotional tactics to market your website.
With this checklist, you are now better equipped to tackle your website redesign project. However, you need to ensure your hosting plan is also rock-solid for the redesign to be truly effective. Plus, making regular site improvements will ensure the site remains in stellar condition and make it easy for you to meet your long-term website goals.