Subdomains are part of a domain name that comes before your domain name and domain extension. A subdomain allows you to separate your website without setting up another site with a new domain. For example, if you want to launch a new blog to be a part of your website, you can do that with a subdomain. i.e., if your website is example.com, your blog could be under the subdomain blog.example.com.
Most hosting accounts come with unlimited subdomains. In this cPanel tutorial, we will cover how to create a subdomain and set up redirections.
You can create subdomains in the Subdomains sections in cPanel with these steps;
- Go to the Domains section and click on Subdomains.
- Fill in the name of the subdomain and select the domain to create it.
- Click the Create button.
It will take a few hours for the subdomain to propagate and show up on the web, after which it will be active.
How to redirect a subdomain
Every time you add a new domain to your account, cPanel will also create a corresponding subdomain to go alongside it, which means you will have the same website available twice, under both the domain name and subdomain. To fix that, you should redirect the new subdomain to your standard domain.
A redirect domain acts as a pointer to another domain name. When accessing a web page on the redirected domain, your URL changes to the standard domain name.
Use these steps to redirect your subdomains to another domain name;
- In the Domains section in cPanel, click on Subdomains.
- Click on the Manage Redirection link next to the subdomain you want to redirect.
- Type the domain name that you want to redirect to in the blank space.
- Click on Save when done to complete the setup.
Disabling subdomain redirection
If you no longer want to redirect visitors from a subdomain to another domain, disable redirection.
Follow these steps;
- Click Subdomains.
- Under Modify a Subdomain, find the subdomain and click Manage Redirection.
- Click Disable Redirection.
Deleting a subdomain
You can delete a subdomain when you no longer need it.
Follow these steps to delete a subdomain;
- Click Subdomains.
- Under Modify a Subdomain, find the subdomain that you want to delete and click Remove.
- Click Delete Subdomain. Proceed to delete the folder and files manually after deleting the subdomain.
For more information about subdomains or help setting up subdomains, you can contact our team here, and we will be ready to help!